Emotional Literacy refers to the capacity for recognizing our own feelings and those of others, and for motivating ourselves in positive management of our emotions, and in our relationships.
The basics of emotional literacy are:
- Self-awareness – knowing your feelings and using them to make appropriate life decisions
- Self-management – not being paralysed or stuck by negative feelings
- Self-motivation – ability to pursue goals and learn from feedback
- Empathy – able to understand another person’s perspective
- Social deftness – handling feelings in relationships with skill and harmony